Sunday 30 November 2014

23 Apollo 12 Moon Mission



First  watched : November  1969

I  do  remember  watching  some  Apollo  footage  but  I  don't  recall  any  great  drama  so  it's  unlikely  to  have  been  Apollos  11  or  13  and  I'm  not  sure  the  subsequent  expeditions  received  much  coverage  outside  of  the  news  bulletins  so  it's  most  likely  to  have  been  Apollo   12.

Other  than  allowing  Pete  Conrad  ( pictured  above )  and  Alan  Bean - both  household  names  of  course - to  become  the  third  and  fourth  people  to  walk  on  the  moon ,  I'm  not  quite  sure  what  the  point   of  this  mission  was. It  was  all  of  course  a  bit  after  the  Lord  Mayor's  Parade  as  I'm  sure  both  astronauts  realised  at  the  time. Their  day  out  was  also  marred  by  Bean  dozily  pointing  his  TV  camera  directly  at  the  sun  which  brought  the  live  transmission  to  an  abrupt  end.

Around  this  time  I  recall  PG  Tips  running  one  of  their  Collector  Card  series  on  the  Apollo  missions.

No comments:

Post a Comment