Thursday 12 February 2015

88 Little Women


First  watched  : 1972

This  was  first  screened  on  Sunday  evenings  in  1970  but  I  think  it's  more  likely  my  memories  are  from  the  repeat  screening  on  Wednesday  afternoons  from  28  June  1972. This  was  one  of  umpteen  adaptations  of  Louisa  M  Alcott's  classic  novel  of  four  young  women- the  economically  named  Amy, Beth , Jo  and  Meg , growing  up  in  nineteenth  century America. Like  Anne  of  Green  Gables   it  required  its  English  cast  to  speak  in  American  accents. I  only  remember  it  very  vaguely  as  something  that  interested  my  mum  and  sister  more  than  me.

None  of  the  four  young  actresses  Angela  Down, Jo  Rowbotham, Janina  Faye  and  Sarah  Craze  went  on  to  become  household  names  and  only  Angela  seems  to  be  still  working.

No comments:

Post a Comment