Saturday 29 August 2015

224 The Legend Of Robin Hood



First  watched : 23  November  1975

This  is  the  earliest  programme  for  which  I  wrote  the  TV  Cream  entry.

This  Sunday  tea  time  drama  though  made  on  a  limited  budget  presented  a  grittier  take  on  the  legends  with  a  particularly  grim  final  episode  which  left  most  of  the  cast  dead. Robin's  men  are  framed  for  the  death  of  a  popular  churchman  and  are  turned  on  by  the  populace. They  seize  the  one-handed  Ralph  Gammon  and  adolescent  Much  and  hang  them  before  King  Richard  returns  and  restores  order.

Although   Robin  was  played  by  Martin  Potter  who's  had  a  rather  fitful  career  since  the  cast  was  pretty  strong  with  Diane  Keen  as  Maid  Marian  and  Blake's  Seven's  Paul  Darrow   as  the  Sherriff  of  Nottingham. I  didn't  connect  him  at  the  time  of  Bake's  Seven, perhaps  because  he  had  a  beard  in  this  , but  now  I  can  see  him  in  the  role. The  one  who  stuck  in  my  mind  most  was  the  young  David  Dixon  as  Prince  John , bringing  a  feline  androgyny  to  the  role. It  was  around  this  time  that  I  started  developing  a  fascination  with  cast  lists, even  for  things  I  wasn't  watching, and  I  started  looking  out  for  Dixon  after  this.



No comments:

Post a Comment