Thursday 15 October 2015

255 The Great Saturday Morning Picture Show


First  watched : Summer  1976

One  from  the  countdown  period  to  the  end  of  my  primary  school  days, The  Great  Saturday  Morning  Picture  Show  was  a  wraparound  title  for  presenting  two  US  classics  from  the  1930s,  Flash  Gordon  and  Hopalong  Cassidy . Two  instalments  of  Flash, the  first  ever  science  fiction  serial, bookended  one  of  the  66,  roughly  hour-long,  films  starring  William  Boyd  as  Cassidy  and  neatly  filled  out  the  mid-morning  slot  on  a  Saturday  before  Grandstand.  Of  Hopalong  Cassidy  I  have  no  memory  at  all ;  I  suspect  I   might  have  popped  down  to  the  shops  to  spend  my  pocket  money  while  that  was  on.

I  did  enjoy  Flash  Gordon  though.  I  was  vaguely  aware  that  it  was  both  campy  and  creaky  in  terms  of  its  production  values  but  I  enjoyed  the  big  cast  of  larger-than-life  characters ,  my  favourite  being  the  giant  King  Vultan  ( Jack  Lipson ) , the  love  triangle  between  Flash, Dale  and  Aura   and  the  frequency  with  which  the   hero  was  placed  in  mortal  peril. I  passed  on  the  1980  film  version  though  and  still  haven't  seen  it ; some  memories  are  best  left  alone.




No comments:

Post a Comment