Sunday 27 March 2016

363 Wuthering Heights



First  viewed  : 15  or  20  October  1978

I'll  have  to  be  disciplined   here  as  the  source  novel  is  one  of  my  all  time  favourites  and  I  could  write  reams  about  it. However  that  really  started  when  I  read  it  for  my  English  A  Level  nearly  four  years  later  than  this  series  of  which  I  only  caught  a  short  snatch. I  clearly  remember  it  was  a  scene  where  Heathcliff  is  terrorising  Isabella  Linton  but  can't  work  out  whether  it  was  on  the  first   Sunday  broadcast   or  Friday  night  repeat.  A  couple  of  months  later  I  read  Richard  Adams'  The  Plague  Dogs   in  which  the  hardbitten  journalist  Digby  Driver  intimidates  the  villainess  who's  sold  her  brother's  dog  for  medical  research  "like  Heathcliff  getting  to  work  on  Isabella  Linton"   and  understood  the  reference.

The  only  other  thing  I  remember  about  the  series  is  the  negative  write-up  it  got  in  The  Daily  Telegraph  which  disliked  the  editing  and  use  of  "arty "  camera  angles. I  think  that  was  probably  the  first  bit  of  TV  criticism  I  read.

No comments:

Post a Comment