Tuesday 28 June 2016

428 Dr Hook


First  viewed :  7  April  1980

This  was  an  Easter  Monday  Special   giving  the  good  time  US  country  rock  band   a  50  minute  showcase   - though  at  22.05  pm - for  their  musical  wares.

I  was  never  a  great  fan  of  the  band  though  their  first  hit  Silvia's  Mother  is  a  good  tune   and  only  tuned  in  towards  the  end, almost  certainly  hoping  to  catch   special  guest  star  Kate Bush  ( unsuccessfully  as  it  turned  out ).

Instead  my  sister  and  I  just  caught  the  last  couple  of  band  songs,  the  second  of  which was  a comic  number  about  the  perils  of  marijuana  "  I  Got  Stoned  And  I  Missed  It "  which  at  that time  neither  us  really  understood. At  the  end  of  it, there  was  a  coda  where   Ray  Sawyer  ( the guy  with  the  eyepatch  demanded  the  audience  jump  up  and  shout  "I  Got  Stoned " on  the seventh  drum  beat.  Without  any  form  of  communication  passing  between  us  both  my  sister and  I  did  as  we  were  told  which  is  a  testament  to  the  charisma  of  the  guy. Without  that   shared  silly  moment  I  very  much  doubt  this  entry  would  be  here.

Dr  Hook  were  in  the  Top  10 at  the  time  with  Sexy  Eyes   but  this  show  turned  out  to  be  effectively  their  last  hurrah. For  the  full  story  check  out  my  charts  blog  Hello  Goodbye.  

No comments:

Post a Comment