Tuesday 13 September 2016

492 Cheggers Plays Pop


First  viewed  : 1  June  1981

As  this  durable  kids  TV  show  had  been  running  for  three  years  before  I  tuned  in , I  suppose  I  need  to  answer  why  a  pop  fan  like  me  hadn't  dropped  by  before. I  can't  really  remember  as  I  had  no  great  animus  against  Cheggers. I  guess  it  was  a  mixture  of  wanting  to  pull  out  of  kids  TV,  feeling  that  pop  was  too  important  to  be  trivialised  and  fear  that  it  might  unearth  someone  my  age  who  knew  more  about  pop.

I  know  the  date's  right  because  I  remember  999 ,  enjoying  a  brief  second  wind  commercially, appearing   and  being  struck  by  one  of  the  class  of  '77  now  entertaining  school  kids. Looking at  the  date  I  suspect  I  was  watching  it  as  comedown  TV  after   one  of  my  O  Level  exams.

The  show  was  a  mixture  of  Runaround, Crackerjack , We  Are  The  Champions  and  the  soon-to-come  Pop  Quiz , interspersed  with  two  or  three  lip-synching  appearances  by  bands  who  had  a  single  out.

It  ran  from  1978  to  1986.

No comments:

Post a Comment