Sunday 18 September 2016

496 Best Sellers : Top of the Hill


First  viewed :  19  June  1981

This  is  one  where  the  circumstances  of  watching  it  are  much  more  vivid  in  my  mind  than  the  content.

Friday  19th  June  1981  was  something  of  a  red  letter  day. As  it  was  the  day  of  my  last  exam , the  written  part  of  the  Drama  O  Level , it  marked  the  end   of  my  time  in  compulsory  education. I  always  intended  to  go  back  and  do  A  Levels  at  the  school  but  the  plain  fact  was  that  I  had  the  option  of  never  setting  foot  in  the  place  again. A  twelve  year  journey  had  come  to  an  end  and  there  were  plenty  of   familiar  faces  that  I  would  never  see  again.

And  that's  where  the  bitter  sweet  memory  comes  in. It  was  the  last  time  I  saw  my  friend  Tim  Navesey. Our  friendship  had  developed  through  us  both  doing  Drama, at  which  he  was  better  than  me. The  exam  was  fine;  it  was  my   best  subject  and  there  were  no  nasty  surprises. After  it,  we  were  walking  to  the  bus  stop  together, a  bit  light  headed  with  relief  that  it  was  all  over  and  I  mentioned  I  was  going  on  a  walking  holiday  the  following  Monday. Tim  then  said  he'd  like  to  get  involved  in  walking  with  me. This  was  tremendous  news. I  was  somewhat  apprehensive  ( rightly  as  it  turned  out )  about  the  fact  that  my  companion  on  the  holiday,  Michael, would  be   starting  work  ( on  a YTS  scheme  ) as  soon  as  it  was  over   and   had  been  wondering  whether  I'd  see  him  as  regularly  after  that. I  was  also  conscious  that  it  wasn't  healthy  to  have  all  your  eggs  in  one  basket  as  far  as  friendships  went. Hitherto  the  association  with  Tim  had  only  been  school-based  but  he  obviously  wanted  to  develop  it  further. If  Michael  did  drift  away,  I  wouldn't  be  so  exposed.

So  I  arrived  home  in  a  very  happy  mood   and  just  wanted   some  comedown  TV. The  Best Sellers  franchise  was  originally  launched  by  the  American  company  NBC  in  1976   to  link   together  a  number  of  mini-series  based  on  adaptations  of  popular  novels. It  didn't  seem  to  work  that  well  in.  the  US  for  it  was dropped  after  one  season. It  did  work  for  ITV  though  who  continued  to  use  it  even  when  it  was  broadcasting  series  which  hadn't  been  produced  by  NBC. There  was  little  concern  for  literary  quality  - I  think  there  were  a  couple  of  Jeffrey  Archers  in  there  -  but  they  attracted  some  big  stars. By  the  eighties  the  repeats  were  being  used  as  daytime  schedule  fillers.

Top  of  the  Hill  was  written  by  Irwin  Shaw  best  known  for  Rich  Man,  Poor  Man , an  early  adaptation  in  the  series.  It's  a  potboiler  about  love  and  professional  rivalry  amongst  the  competitors  at  the  Winter  Olympics. The  series  starred  fading  sixties  starlet  Elkie  Sommer ,  Adrienne  Barbeau  and, with  macabre  irony, Sonny  Bono  as  a  ski  instructor. It  wasn't  very  engaging  and  after  half  an  hour  or  so  I  got  up  and  found  something  else  to  do.

After  the  holiday , I  had  to  attend  the  Sixth  Form  Induction  Week  at  school. Tim  was  nowhere  to  be  seen . I  tracked  down  his  younger  brother  and  received  the  gobsmacking  news  that  he  had  gone  off  to  train  as  a  priest. He'd  never  given  me  the  slightest  inkling  that  he  was  inclined  that  way.*  That  was  the  low  point  of  an  awful  week. The school  could  have  cleared  the  necessary  business  of  choosing  options  and  signing  up  to  classes  in  a  couple  of  days but  instead  we  were  stuck  there  for  five , watching  boring  careers  films  or  talks, each  one  completely  irrelevant  to  95%  of  the  audience. As  well  as  that,  I  got  the  slight  sense  that  every  one  else   had  grown  up  just  a  little  bit  more  than  me; what  they  would  have  found  entertaining  just  a  couple  of  months  earlier  was  now  regarded  as  tiresome  or  childish. It  didn't  bode  well  for  the  next  couple  of  years.

And  that's  how  this  personal  stuff  marks  a  bit  of  a  watershed  in  this  blog. Because  of  the  rapid  deterioration  in  my  social  life,  I  would  expect  the  coverage  of  the  next  two  years  ( which  of  course  includes  the  launch  of  Channel  4  )  up  to  my  going  to  university  to  be  much  more  comprehensive  as  I  was  in  the  house  much  more  often. Added  to  that  my  bed  times  were  no  longer  monitored ; I  could  stay  up  as  late  as  I  wanted.

* About  a  year  later  Tim's  brother  asked  for  my  address  as  he  wanted  to  write  to  me. A  couple  of  letters  were  exchanged. A  year, or  maybe  two , after  that   he  got  in  touch  to  say  that  he'd  knocked  the  priesthood  idea  on  the  head  and  had  just  started  driving. He  was  supposed  to  drive  over  to  see  me  but  I  think  he  got  lost  or  something  and  it  never  happened. To  this  day  I've  not  seen  him  since  that  day  in  June.

1 comment:

  1. It's an interesting time, when you're 16 and have those options. Like you, I was always going to stay on (the whole point of school, to me, was to survive to 18 so you made university and escaped), but still.. the idea of leaving to work was a strange one. I could have followed my old man to Sellafield - which would have provided a well-paid job for life, but instead, I stuck with my original plans and spent two years of Sixth From arsing around. I did improve my pool game at the pub, though.

    ReplyDelete