Monday 19 December 2016

564 The Doors - No One Here Gets Out Alive



First  viewed  : 1  September  1982

The  following  night's  contribution  to  Rock  Week  was  a  documentary  on  the  legendary  late  60s  band  The  Doors.  Although  the  subtitle  is  the  same  as  Jerry  Hopkins '  bestselling  book  on  the  band  in  1980,   I'm  not  sure  how  this  programme  related  (  if  at  all  )   to  the  video  released  at  the  same  time  since  that  ran  for  an  hour  and  this  was   only  40  minutes.

This  one  had  much  more  significance  for  my  sister  who  became  a  big  fan  of  the  band  after  this  broadcast. How  much  of  that  was  down  to  the  music  and  how  much  to  Jim  Morrison's  erm  "crotch  appeal "  I  wouldn't  like  to  hazard  a  guess. I  was  and  remain  more  ambivalent  about  them. I  love  Ray  Manzarek's  jazzy  instrumental  breaks  but  I  find  it  difficult   to  get  past  those  pretentious  lyrics. Still,  they  were  never  boring  and  this  documentary  captured  their  moment  in  time  pretty  well.

No comments:

Post a Comment