Sunday 5 February 2017

601 Jury




First  viewed  : Spring  1983

This  was  an  ambitious  13  part  drama  on  BBC 1  in  the  9.25  pm  slot  on  a  Thursday. It  was  about  the  12 members  of  a  jury  on  a  rape  case. Ten  episodes  concentrated  on  an  individual  member   and  their  life  outside  the  courtroom, one  covered  an  affair  between  the  other  two  then  the  final  two  episodes  concentrated  on  the  deliberations  and  the  final  verdict. The  only  actor  I  recognised  was  William  Gaunt . I  don't  think  I  saw  many   of  the  preceding  episodes  but  I  certainly  remember  the  final  two.

The  accused  was  a  man  with  learning  difficulties  and  the  case  hinged on  whether  he  was  capable of  interpreting  the  signals  he  got  from  the  woman  correctly. As  you  would  expect  the  jury  included  a  ballbusting  feminist, bleeding  heart  liberal, hanger  and  flogger  and  a  guy  who  just  wanted  to  get  home  for  tea. I  think  they  found  him  not  guilty  but  I  couldn't  swear  to  that.

No comments:

Post a Comment