Saturday 18 February 2017

609 The Happy Apple


First  viewed  :  20  June  1983

We  come  to  what  I  expect  to  be  one  of  the  densest  parts  of  the  blog  as  there  was  a  long  gap  between  finishing  A  Levels  and  starting  university in  October. I  know  what  you're  thinking,  that  I  should  have  found  some  gainful  employment  over  the  summer,  and  that's  probably  true  but  such  opportunities  tend  to  be  manual  and  I honestly  don't  think  I  was  robust  enough  to  do  a  week's  manual  work  to  an  employer's  satisfaction.

Watching  the  first  episode  of  The  Happy  Apple  was  a  classic  case  of  staying  with   the  channel  after  Coronation  Street. It  was  a  seven  part  sitcom  written  by  Keith  Waterhouse  based  on  a  play  by  Jack  Pulman. An  advertising  agency  is  struggling  to  come  up  with  the  goods  until  they  realise  their  chavvy  young  secretary  Nancy  is  the  perfect  Everygirl   for  market  testing  purposes. Of  course  Nancy  has  to  be  kept  in  her  place  if  the  success  is  to  continue.

There  was  only  one  series  and  it's  best  remembered  for  providing  the  breakthrough  role  for  Leslie  Ash  who'd  been  treading  water  since  her  appearance  in  Quadrophenia  four  years  earlier. Just  months  later  she  was  replacing  the  indisposed  Paula  Yates  as  co-host  of  The  Tube.  The  series  also  starred  Nicky  Henson, Jeremy  Chld  and  Peter  Hugo-Daly.

1 comment:

  1. In fairness, I spent the summer between A Levels and University on a kind of extended piss-up: United had just won the treble and I earned my beer tokens by helping a cousin fit carpets once or twice a week, and being a combined driver/roadie for my brother's metal band at the weekends. It was a period that in hindsight that I wish I'd appreciated a lot more than I did at the time.

    ReplyDelete