Friday 1 September 2017

780 40 Minutes


First  viewed : Uncertain

This  documentary  strand  on  BBC  Two  had  been  running  since  1981  so  I  think  I  must  have  caught  sight  of  it  before, but  the  first  programme  I  can  definitely  recall  is  a  two-parter  from  December  1986  entitled  The  Chosen  Few which  followed  the  fortunes  of  two  applicants  for  the  Civil  Service, an  opinionated  male  leftie  and  a  middle  of  the  road  public  school  girl. Given  I  was  job-hunting  at  the  time,  it  was  of  considerable  interest  although  I  never  applied  to join  the  Civil  Service  myself.

I  can't  remember  now  which  one  of  them  got  the  job. He  seemed  to  be  rubbing  the  panel  up  the  wrong  way  while  her  suggestion  of  a  buffer  state  between  Israel  and  its  hostile  neighbours  was  rightly  ridiculed. Perhaps  it  was  neither  of  them  as  there  were  other  candidates  in  the  field  who  weren't  filmed.

Raging  Belles   ( 09.03.1989 )


This  one  concentrated  on  the  female  wrestling  world   and  featured  two  contrasting  ladies  as  they  edged  towards  a  showdown  for  the  British   Ladies' Championship  Belt. One  was  a  peroxided  tub  of  lard  from  Liverpool  called  Klondyke  Kate  , who  wore  black  and  was  a  "heel",  in  the  Mick  McManus  mould, regularly  pausing  to  shout  abuse  at  the  spectators. If  I  remember  correctly, she  was  also  around  four  months  pregnant  at  the  time.  The  other , Vicky  Monroe, was  a  big  girl  but  quite  attractive  and  played  a  straight  bat. I  can't  actually  remember  who  won  the  Belt. 

No comments:

Post a Comment