Monday 23 October 2017

819 The Roxy


First  viewed  :  June  1987

This  was  ITV's  short-lived  challenge  to  Top  of  the  Pops. It  was  made  by  Tyne  Tees  TV  and  therefore  used  the  same  studios  as  the  recently-deceased  The  Tube.  It  used  the  Network  Chart  which  took  airplay  into  account  rather  than  the  official  Gallup  chart. The  original  presenter  was  David  "Kid "  Jensen  who'd  fallen  out  with  the  BBC  a  couple  of  years  earlier. Like  Top  of  the  Pops  most  of  the  performances  were  lip-synched.

Because  it  was  based  in  Newcastle  some  acts  who'd  do  Top  of  the  Pops  demurred  at  travelling  to  the  north  east  so  it  often  got  a  bit  further  down  the  chart  than  its  rival. I  remember  Joe  Cocker  performing  his  song  Unchain  My  Heart  on  a  set  that  looked  like  he  was  in  a  giant  burger  which  I  thought  was  quite  appropriate  for  his  hammy  performing  style.

The  programme  struggled  to  attract  a  large  enough  audience. Jensen  quit  and  was  replaced  by  Pat  Sharp.

I  saw  one  of  the  last  episodes  in  March  1988  when  I  went  to  visit  my  ex-house  mate  Pete, still  living  in  Leeds . One  of  his  house  mates  wanted  to  see  Bryan  Ferry  performing  Kiss  and  Tell  because  Mandy  Smith  was  one  of  his  onstage  dancers  for  some  reason. That  was  the  last  time  I  saw  him  and  I've  still  got  the  snooker  cue  he  sold  me  that  day..

The  Roxy  was  cancelled  a  few  weeks  later.


No comments:

Post a Comment