Wednesday 15 November 2017

836 Top Town


First  viewed  : Autumn  1987

This   was  a  BBC  North  West  revival  , in  the  mid-evening  Friday  regional  slot  on  BBC  Two, of  an  inter-town   talent  contest  that  ran  in  the  fifties. It  was  presented  by  Stuart  Hall.  The  two  towns  had  celebrity  champions. The  only  episode  I  saw  had  ex-Liver  Bird  Polly  James  pitted  against  Bill  Waddington  ( Coronation  St's  Percy  Sugden )  so  I'm  guessing  it  must  have  been  Blackburn  v  Oldham. There  was  a  bit  of  football-based  banter  between  the  two  before  the  contest  started. The  only  act  I  can  recall  is  a  terrible  female singer  who  did  Saving  All  My  Love  For  You  pronouncing  all   her  "oo"   sounds  as  "er"  hence  "We'll  be  making  love  the  whole  night  threrererrr !". I'd  love  to  see  that  again  but  I  doubt  there's  much  chance. Apparently,  another  episode  featured  actress  Clare  Sweeney  , presumably  representing  Liverpool, doing  Somewhere  Over  The  Rainbow. It  only  lasted  for  one  series.


No comments:

Post a Comment