Thursday 7 December 2017

856 Wainwright in Scotland


First  viewed :  5  April  1988

Having  missed  the  first  series  featuring  my  walking  hero  due  to  not  having  access  to  a  TV  in  Leeds  I  did  catch  some  of  this  second  series  he  made  with  farmer  and  broadcaster  Eric  Robson.  I  should  include  the  caveat  that  he  wasn't  quite  as  big  a  hero  to  me  as  before, the  revelations  of  his  somewhat  bitter  worldview  and  shabby  treatment  of  his  first  wife  in  the  recently-published  Ex-Fellwanderer  having  somewhat  taken  the  shine  away.

Still  it  was  reasonably  enjoyable  to  see  and  hear  the  old  guy  even  though  the  series  was  about  somewhere  I'd  never  walked  and  didn't  have  any  plans  to  visit. I  remember  them  visiting  Cape  Wrath  in  Sutherland   and  Robson  having  to  intervene  to  stop  the  now  visually  impaired  octogenarian  from  wandering  over  the  edge  of  a  cliff.

A  repeat  of  the  first  series  followed  shortly  afterwards.   

No comments:

Post a Comment