Saturday 6 January 2018

886 Neighbours


First  viewed :  Uncertain

While   I  was  studying  at  Liverpool  Polytechnic  for  my  accountancy  exams, my  friend  Mark  suggested  we   join  the  Student  Union to  avail  ourselves  of  the  facilities  so  we  often  went   to  the  Union  building  and  shot  a  few  games  of  pool  at  lunchtime. The  games  room  was  usually  fairly  sparsely  populated  and  on  8th  November  1988  we  weren't  expecting  anything  different.

Instead,  it  was  absolutely  chock-a  ; we  could  barely  get  through  the  door. The  pool  table  was  completely  inaccessible  as  people  were  sitting  on  it.  They  were  all  facing  the  same  way  transfixed  by  the  modest-sized  TV  on  the  wall. What  on  earth  had  happened  to  bring  all  these  students  together  ?  Being  tall, I  could  see  the  TV  and  the  truth  dawned. They  were  watching  the  marriage  of  the  characters  played  by  Jason  Donovan  and  Kylie  Minogue  on  the  Australian  soap  Neighbours.

Neighbours  came  to  the  UK  in  the  autumn  of  1986  to  fill  out  the  new  daytime  schedule  after   News  at  One. It  seemed  a  bit  of  a  joke  at  first  and  I  ignored  it. However  it  soon  proved  the  most   popular  item  in  the  schedule  and  was  given  an  early  evening  repeat  so  the  workers  and  kids  at  school  could  enjoy  it  from  1988. I  probably  did  glimpse  it  on  occasion  before  the  wedding  episode.

I've  written  on  music  blogs  before  that  I've  never  really  bought  into  Kylie. I  can  appreciate that  she's  a  very  attractive  personality  and  perhaps  what  I  perceive  as  a  lack  of  star  quality  is  in  fact  the  secret  of  her  appeal  to  many.  At  this  point,  Kylie  and  Jason  were  riding  high  as  the  spearheads  of  the  Stock, Aitken  and  Waterman  domination  of  the  chart  which  didn't  exactly  endear  them  to  me. It  was  an  ageing  moment  for  me; I  was  only  23  but  had  the  distinct  feeling  that  the  zeitgeist  was  moving  further  away.

After  that,  I  caught  the  odd  episode,  usually  when  someone, aware  of  my  Prisoner  Cell  Block  H  obsession, tipped  me  off  that  one  of  the  Prisoner  actors  had  turned  up  looking  a  lot  older.  When  I  first  got  the  internet  in  1999,  I  was  a  frequent  visitor  to  Rob's  Celebrity  Page  ( long  since  defunct )  and  I  was  very  taken  with  some  stills   of  an  actress  called  Kym  Valentine  who  was  on  the  show   so  I  watched  for  a  bit  then  to  see  her  but  I  never  got  engaged  with  the  storylines,  most  of  which  seemed  to  centre  on  a  young  man  called  Toadfish.

The  series  eventually  lost  its  lustre  and  in  2008  the  BBC  declined  to  repurchase  it  when  Fremantle  Media  hiked  the  price. Since  then  it's  been  on  Channel  5.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment