Tuesday 16 January 2018

896 Snub TV


First  viewed :  Early  1989

This  was  another  DEF II  programme. It  was  initially  made  in  the  UK  in  1987  for  consumption  on  US  cable  television ; Janet  Street-Porter  bought  into  it  at  the  beginning  of  1989.  Although  The  Chart  Show   regularly  featured  the  independent  chart, this  was  the  first  music  show  in  the  UK  to  focus  solely  on  the  independent  scene  and  thus  captured  the  height  of  Madchester  and  the  beginnings  of  grunge.  The  programme  took  a  suitably  lo-fi  approach  with  most  of  the  footage  shot  on  camcorders. Former  PiL  associate  Jeanette  Lee  presented  the  first  few  episodes  but  thereafter  it  dispensed  with  presenters.

I  don't  really  know  why  I  didn't  watch  it  more. Two  years  earlier,  I  suspect  I'd  have  watched  it  religiously  but  I  was  becoming  rather  disillusioned  with  the  music  scene  around  this  time. I'm  only  confident  in  saying  I  saw  the  episode  on  20  February  1989  when  former  Microdisney  man  Cathal  Coughlan  performed   the  rather  challenging  "Only  Losers  Take  The  Bus"  with  his  confrontational  new outfit  Fatima  Mansions. 

The  series  ran  until  1991  when  the  acts  it  featured  were  starting  to  penetrate  the  charts  with  ease  and  independent  was  no  longer  synonymous  with  "alternative".

1 comment:

  1. Always preferred Mr Coughlan with Microdisney but I'll admit "Blues for Ceaucescu" struck a chord with me.

    ReplyDelete